Phil and Chris

Phil and Chris

Tuesday 6 March 2012

Returning to Texas

Is it over??  We are back where we started and they never tell me what is going on.  At least I'm getting caught up with some blogging here and maybe they'll stop nagging me.  They haven't pulled out that little travelling bag yet, so maybe we're staying longer.  Do you think they'll make me share my bag with the 'roo?

Oh, it looks like we're going boating!!!  I haven't been on a boat in months, this looks like it could be a great day.



Here is where we went.  We met some very nice people who invited us to their house down along the Gulf coast of Texas.  They have a fishing shack out on one of the small islands and it is only accessible by shallow draft boat.  Does it get any better than this??



What a great clock.  It is, appropriately, in the fishing shack.


 
Those photos are stuck together.  How does this happen?  One time I was trying to get them un-stuck and I lost the whole post, so today I'll just leave them together.

On the way along the intercoastal waterway there are many barges, and they are often hauling some fairly unfriendly chemicals.  There is a huge Dow Chemical plant close by.
There are also many oil industry related companies here, Phil recognized some of these things more than Chris and I.

There is a railroad bridge that drops down to allow the train to cross the river.
This is a huge guillotine that drops down to close off the harbor during a storm and then the water level will stay the same in the harbor/marina.

This weekend's experience was quite unique and certainly not one that many tourists would have the good fortune to experience.  We are very lucky to have met such lovely people.

No comments:

Post a Comment